Published on January 8th, 2017 | by Bhaskar Ganekar0
This Day That Year 8 January – The Chappell’s day at SCG
Former Indian coach Greg Chappell will never forget this day. Chappell, a former Australian captain was an outstanding batsman for and a good handy medium pacer.
On this day, he registered his career best bowling figure in both Tests and One Day Internationals. Interestingly, he achieved this feat at Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) on both the occasion. In 1973 againstPaskistan in the third Test, Chappell took a career best of five wickets in his 19 overs.
In the Benson & Hedges World Series Trophy in 1981, against India his favorite team India with Sunil Gavaskar at the helm. Chappell lead an Australian team that included Dennis Lilee and Rodney Hogg.
Chappell demolished the Indian batting line up. India were bowled out for a mere 63 runs. Only two Pakistani batsmen got into double figures. Chappell dismissed five batsmen in his 9.5 overs conceding just 15 runs.
Here are some other cricket happenings on January 8
People born on this day:
- 1902: Jack Iddon, Lancashire all-rounder, England 1935
- 1909: Bruce Mitchell, prolific South African batsman 1929-49
- 1913: Horace Smith, NZ, only Test wkt off his first ball (Paynter)
- 1923: Johnny Wardle, Yorkshire and England left-arm bowler of 50’s
- 1949: Lawrence Rowe, prolific WI batsman, 302 v Eng 1974
- 1961: Shoaib Mohammad, son of Hanif. Patient and prolific batsman
- 1965: Champaka Ramanayake, Sri Lankan opening bowler
- 1968: Desmond Chumney, in St Kitts. Canadian batsman 2003 World Cup
- 1981: Clare Shillington, Irish Test middle-order batsman, 2000
- 1986: Tino Mawoyo, Zimbabwe Test batsman 2011-
- 1991: Josh Hazlewood, NSW paceman, Australia ODI 2010
People died on this day:
- 1900: Billy Bates, 656 runs and 50 wkts in 15 Tests for England
- 1950: George Rowe, took 15 wickets in 4 Tests for S.Africa 1895-1902
- 1987: G.Joshi, 12 Tests for India 1951-60, ct 18 stp 9
- 2007: Ken Cranston, mercurial England all-rounder 1947-48
- 2011: Michael Conrad (Joey) Carew, West Indian batsman, nineteen Tests 1963-72
Events on this day:
- 1901: NSW score 918 all out vs South Australia in 560 minutes
- 1938: Bradman scores 107 for South Australia v Qld (1st innings)
- 1981: India all out 63 in one-day international v Australia