Published on January 9th, 2017 | by Bhaskar Ganekar0
This Day That Year 9 January – Agarkar’s five-for but Australia victorious
An India-Australia match in any format of the game, is always interesting. On this day in 2004, when these two teams met each other in the VB series, it was Ajit Agarkar’s day. He registered his career best ODI figure in this match, but his efforts could not help his team for win.
Saurav Ganguly led Indian team, bowling first restricted Australia on 288 in 50 overs. Ajit Agarkar took 6 wickets conceding 42 runs in his 9.3 over, which was his career’s best figure in ODI. His magical swing and Yorker removed Australian top order batsmen like Adma Gilchrist, Mathew Hayden and Damien Martin. India, while chasing, was bowled out for 270 runs in 49 overs after fairy startet from their top orders.
Ajit Agarkar’s 6/42 vs Australia 203/04 VB series
Some other cricketing happenings on this day
People born on this day:
- 1956: David Smith, England left-handed batsman in two Tests v WI 1986
- 1968: Jimmy Adams, prolific West Indian left-handed bat 1992-2001
- 1972: Gary Stead, New Zealand left-handed batsman v South Africa 1999
- 1974: Craig Wishart, Zimbabwe Test batsman 1995-2005
- 1976: Gareth Breese, Jamaican off-spin all-rounder, WI 2002
People died on this day:
- 1904: Alfred Richard, scored 6 and 0 in only Test for S.Africa 1895-96
- 1978: Eddie Gilbert, Aboriginal Qld quick who got the Don for a duck
- 1985: Don Brennan, England wicketkeeper in two Tests 1951
Events on this day:
- 1901: NSW (918) defeat S.Australia (157 and 156) by innings and 605
- 1975: Australia beat England by 171 runs in 4th Test to regain Ashes.