A red card for Saints’ Alexandre Jankewitz after only two minutes triggered a complete collapse for the visitors – Southampton at Old Trafford.  Aaron Wan-Bissaka opened the scoring with his first goal at Old Trafford. Marcus Rashford and Edinson Cavani also found the net on either side of a Jan Bednarek’s own goal before the break and after the break United cut loose, scoring five times in the final 21 minutes.

It was an evening to remember for the Red Devils and one to forget for the Saints at the Theater of Dreams. Manchester United hit the Saints 9 times and it could have been more the way Red Devils were smashing goals. United ran riot and it is only the third time a team has lost 9-0 in the Premier League, with United also beating Ipswich Town by that margin in 1995.

The match at Old Trafford got off to the worst possible start for Saints, who saw Alexandre Jankewitz shown a straight red card for a nasty challenge on Scott McTominay just two minutes in.

Jankewitz became the first player to be sent off on his first Premier League start since Serge Aurier for Tottenham in September 2017, and at 19 years, 39 days old, he’s the youngest to see red in the competition since Jack Wilshire (18 years 288 days) in October 2010.

Ole Gunnar Solskjær’s men ruthlessly broke through and went close when McTominay fired in a cross that Fred nearly headed in and Mason Greenwood had a chance blocked.

Next came the opener – the rejuvenated Luke Shaw swung in the ball and there was Aaron Wan-Bissaka appearing from the right to fire home a second senior goal. Equally as fluid was when McTominay rolled a pass to Edinson Cavani and his cute back-heel found Fernandes and it was cleared.

Shaw chipped in for Wan-Bissaka, this time he over-hit – Shaw then tapped-in to Greenwood who found Marcus Rashford, and his first-time finish beat Alex McCarthy to his left.

This had Hasenhuttl throwing his hands up in despair and while there was some respite when James Ward-Prowse’s free-kick warmed David de Gea’s hands it was brief.

A  Fernandes shot forced a corner taken by the latter and, when the play broke, the playmaker’s cross nearly had the scrambling Jack Stephens heading past McCarthy.

An own-goal did arrive – Ward-Prowse inadvertently tapped to Rashford and his fierce cross was turned home by the hapless Bednarek.

A triumphant half for United closed with Shaw once more creating – this time via a pinpoint cross that Cavani headed home with aplomb. And, there was nearly a fifth when Kayne Ramsay brought down Cavani and Dean awarded a penalty before VAR ruled the challenge was marginally outside the area.

For the second half Cavani – due to an injury – and Shaw were replaced by Martial and Donny van de Beek. Now Fred took Shaw’s position, Van de Beek stepped in for Fred in midfield and Martial for Cavani.

Martial had only two league goals to his name coming into this game so here was an opportunity to try and profit from United’s relentlessness.

Martial ended an eight-match goal drought before Scott McTominay drove home from the edge of the area.

Then, after Bednarek became the second Saints player to be sent off – bringing down Martial to allow Bruno Fernandes the chance to score from the penalty spot on 87 minutes – the French forward netted his second, before Dan James wrapped up the scoring in stoppage time.

The creativity, movement, pressing and mindset of Manchester United could not be criticized as they closed the gap to Premier League leaders Manchester City to a single point, albeit having played two games more.

United had seven different goalscorers on Tuesday night, just the second time that has happened in a Premier League match after Chelsea pulled off the feat against Aston Villa in December 2012.


Solskjaer’s side has now also scored six or more goals in a Premier League match for a second time this season after they defeated Leeds United 6-2 in December. It is the first time they have scored six or more goals in a league game twice since the 2000-01 campaign.

Facebook Comments