Arsenal run riot against Norwich City


Midfielder Bukayo Saka netted a brace as his side as Arsenal continued their bid for Champions League qualification in a comfortable 5-0 victory away at Norwich City on Sunday.

Saka opened the scoring early on before defender Kieran Tierney doubled Arsenal’s lead just before half-time. Saka added a third just after the hour-mark, and Norwich’s hopes were put to bed as striker Alexandre Lacazette scored a penalty in the final 10 minutes. Midfielder Emile Smith Rowe then helped turn the result into a thrashing as he scored Arsenal’s fifth just before full-time.

Sunday’s result moves Arsenal to 35 points after 19 games as manager Mikel Arteta’s side aim to qualify for the Champions League for the first time since 2017.

Saka gave his side an early lead with a well-worked team goal. The 20-year-old collected the ball on the right-hand side following a nice move from the visitors before cutting inside and firing past Norwich goalkeeper Angus Gunn.

Tensions threatened to boil over just before half-time, with two separate clashes between the two sides — the first came after Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka was booked for a tackle on opposing striker Josh Sargent; the second came in the next phase of play after Arsenal defender Ben White made a tackle on Norwich’s Brandon Williams.

Arsenal doubled their lead on the stroke of half-time when midfielder Martin Odegaard found Tierney with a through ball, who slotted home.

Areta’s side continued to dominate in the second half, and Saka took advantage once again, adding a third on 67 minutes with a powerful strike from the edge of the 18-yard-box.

Lacazette won a penalty on 83 minutes when he was brought down by Norwich defender Ozan Kabak, which he scored to cap a comfortable victory for the away side.

Tottenham Hotspur are on song

Tottenham Hotspur took the Boxing Day spoils with ease, beating 10-man Crystal Palace 3-0.

Spurs scored twice in the first half, while Palace, without manager Patrick Vieira after he tested positive for COVID-19, were reduced to 10 men when Wilfried Zaha was sent off for two bookable offences.

Tottenham started the game the better, and it was Son Heung-Min who tested Jack Butland in the opening moments. Son’s effort from distance forced Butland to get down low to his right to scoop the ball behind.

Spurs had to wait until the 32nd minute to find the breakthrough. It came out of nothing, Lucas Moura breaking from midfield to square a pass to the unmarked Harry Kane, who swept his shot past Butland.

Two minutes later, Spurs had a second goal. This time it was Moura who got on the scoresheet, rising to head home from Emerson Royal’s perfect cross.

If Palace’s task was already hard, it became even more difficult in the 37th minute when Zaha was shown a second yellow card after he shoved Davinson Sanchez to the ground.

The second half was largely a non-event, with Spurs in control against 10-man Palace. But the home side did find a third goal in the 73rd minute when Son guided home Moura’s cross from close range.

The nine-goal thriller at Etihad

Manchester City extended their lead at the top of the Premier League to six points after a thrilling 6-3 home win over Leicester City on Sunday.

The hosts scored four goals inside the opening 25 minutes with Kevin De Bruyne and Ilkay Gundogan on the scoresheet while Riyad Mahrez and Raheem Sterling scored from the penalty spot.

Leicester produced a stunning fightback in the second half as James Maddison, Ademola Lookman and Kelechi Iheanacho made it 4-3.

However, an Aymeric Laporte header and another goal from Sterling wrapped the game up late on as Pep Guadiola’s side marched to their ninth consecutive Premier League victory.

De Bruyne opened the scoring for City after five minutes with a fine curling shot into the bottom corner.

City were awarded a penalty eight minutes later after Youri Tielemans brought down Laporte inside the area and Mahrez stepped up to score against his former side.

The hosts grabbed a third moments later when Gundogan finished off a flowing team move while Sterling was fouled in the area and converted another spot kick to make it 4-0 inside 25 minutes.

Leicester responded in the second half and scored three goals in 10 minutes through Maddison, Lookman and Iheanacho to threaten a stunning comeback.

However, Leicester’s weaknesses at set-pieces continued as Laporte and Sterling both scored from corners to seal an entertaining Boxing Day win for City.


Courtesy: ESPN

Facebook Comments